Thursday, January 22, 2009

‘me’ technologic



19:19 Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"Anyone who falls in love is searching for the missing pieces of themselves. So anyone who's in love gets sad when they think of their lover. It's like stepping back inside a room you have fond memories of, one you haven't seen in a long time."

  • Kafka on the Shore

Have started 'Dance Dance Dance' by Haruki Murakami. Got it from my colleague Vipra, who herself didn't read it beyond 8 pages. The first thing I normally do these days whenever confronted by a new experience is to look for it on Wikipedia, whether it is a movie or a book or a term. Found this quote on the Haruki Murakami resources site and liked it so much that have just messaged it to 40 of my friends. It's also my wallpaper now. Just wondering how much of a technophile I'm. Am I? I think those who lament about the loss of good old letters and such, do not comprehend the opportunity that modern technology gives us.

Just look at this example. I have an opportunity to read a new author I didn't hear of before. I go and search on the net for his book. I find it good enough to pursue it myself. Then in moments, the author's quote has travelled to far corners of the country (I wish it was the world but I do not have ISD facility on my phone, and anyways my sms account is free ;), so that I'm sharing what I'm reading almost live. Now twitter has solved this problem too. Would it have been possible without the wonders of internet and sms? I'm a big fan of letters and post cards, but they are not quick enough for this kind of instant and seemingly trivial communication. I agree, people have shunned them in favor of today's communication technology and I'm really sad about it. My point is, if one maintains a balance, and utilizes technology to its best possible outcome, it will only strengthen the existing relationships we've. But yes, if we substitute human interaction with tech. tools, then our relationships are sure to go down the drain. No phone call or sms or e-mail can beat the visit by a dear friend, but then neither did a postcard or a letter.

Now, in this long digression, I've forgotten what I initially wanted to say. Ah yes, I'd a tiring day. J Wanted to take proper rest, so came home early. One of the no-work days again. Devoted it completely to gathering information that I'll be reading in the days to come. And the amount of data I've been collecting these days is sure to occupy many weeks if given detailed attention. Ummmm, I've many extensive reports on consumer insights in the healthcare domain; some leading intellectuals of the world talking about subjects ranging from dinosaurs to economics; emerging digital media trends and lots of information on infant nutrition and health. Seems I've been to world book fair and have come home with a truck full of books again.

We celebrated a dear colleague's birthday at the office today. Hope to post the pics and videos soon. I was looking good ;) as always. Anyways, I think you've read enough, must be tired by now. I take my leave, will meet again.

Cheers!

-adee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thinking about this quote....

and then when you fall out of love with someone do you feel sad cause you are in this same old room surrounded by the same old crap?

not meaning to be a downer...just looking from another angle.

Anonymous said...

yes fern, it means the same as you said.

dreamt before

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin