Wednesday, August 03, 2011

sometimes at the edge of a day i sit and... write


The day is a road which ends at the cliff of the night. From the edge of it we all take a leap and drown in its unfathomable waters, only to emerge unharmed, renewed, and ready for the next day.

Sometimes at the end of a day I sit on its edge and reminisce how my journey was. I think we all do this knowingly, unknowingly. (In matters like these, we’ve not been given much choice.) And sometimes at the end of the road we are propelled with such great momentum that our only moment of reminiscing is just before hitting the warm, inky depths of the night.

We writers are generally not blessed with such a swift end to our journeys. By our very nature, we are addicted to trying and prolonging this leap, that epiphany between jumping from the cliff and hitting the waters. Though this rarely happens, the road ends sooner than expected, the precipice beckons and we’ve but no choice to end it all, then and there.

But sometimes, by some opportunistic sleight, we do manage to pause the wheels of time. On days like these, we sit on the edge of the cliff and look back at the road, trying to derive meaning out of this needless traveling and jumping and re-emerging dripping the dreams of the night.


This life is also a road which ends at the cliff of death. From its edge too we take the leap and drown in its unforgiving waters, only to emerge unharmed, renewed and dripping with the karmas of our previous journey.


Sometimes at the end of a day like today, I just wish that when my journey finally ends, I’ll be given more than a moment of recollection, that in the moment when I look back, I’ll see a life well spent and a love well earned.

Sometimes at the edge of a day like today, I just wish her to be beside me and the day… to never end.

7 comments:

ADITI said...

"Sometimes at the edge of a day like today, I just wish him to be beside me and the day… to never end."
:)

nihar said...

Adi, i dont knw either u r reading my mind, or everyone is in the same boat. Ur article explains my present feelings very well. Thanks for writing this, it do provides me some sort of relief.......

Kyra said...

If u find time read the latest post on my blog..it's on the same lines.

Anonymous said...

I love this .. From the title itself i made a mental picture of what might follow .. And glad you did not disappoint .. you never do ! totally enjoy this post ..

Sometimes at the edge of a day I sit and ... wish my fall into night's arms was loaded with kiss of words from fellow travelers .."

delhidreams said...

aditi: :)

nihar: i'm glad it provided some relief to u :) thanks!

meeta: i did. and look how people have reacted to it! u wrote wonderfully SD :)

nimue: :) thanks, thanks, thanks!

Ed Newman said...

A truly rich piece of prose poetry. I was going to post how really invigorating the title was, but once I started reading it took one places we do not anticipate and was especially sparkling.
e.

delhidreams said...

thanks a lot Ennyman :) coming from u, i'll treasure this comment :)

dreamt before

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin